Note: This page is currently under construction. If there is something specific you were looking for information on, consider reaching out to your fellow grad students using the LGCU resources described in the support and community resources section of the website.

If you have any suggestions for information/guides that should be added to this page, be sure to let us know using the LGCU Website ‘issues’ form.

How to…

There are two general-use printers in the department. PiSheng is upstairs in the mail room; Alcuin is downstairs in room 568. Neither printer has user codes set up, this means that you can print remotely from any device, as long as you have the IP addresses and appropriate drivers installed. (If you don’t have the IP addresses, ask one of your fellow grad students).

Note: You can also print files from a USB device. Only printer-ready files (like pdfs) can be printed this way. Just plug in your USB to the port on the front of the printer, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Access the Printers Through a Browser

If you’re on a device you can’t (or don’t want to) install drivers on, or are having technical difficulties, you can print directly through a browser using the IP addresses.

Use the URL: “http://[IP ADDRESS]/”

Click on the Print tab; you will be able to browse for a file and submit it for printing. Like with printing from a USB, this will only work for printer-ready files like pdfs.

Set Up Printing on Your Device

  1. Download the necessary drivers. The drivers are available from the Xerox Support page linked here, or search the Xerox website for drivers for the Xerox WorkCentre 5745. Select your OS from the dropdown menu. For OSX, you only have one driver package to choose from; for Windows, you have a few options. In the past, the PCL6 driver has been recommended; however, recent reports suggest that this is no longer ideal. Try the web-based installer or the global driver instead for now. Linux users will need a modified .ppd for use with CUPS (available through this dropbox link (some users have had trouble getting this to work; remember that accessing the printers through the browser method above is always an option).

  2. Click on the package you’ve downloaded and start installing it. In the options that follow, be sure to select the option for a network printer or LPR printer. Don’t search the network for a printer (you won’t find one), just supply the IP address for the printer.

  3. If you want to set up printing for both printers, you should be able to just add a new network printer through your control panel / settings (giving it the other IP address) and have it find the necessary drivers.

Still having trouble after following these steps? Contact Radu Craioveanu for help.

Book a Room

(under construction)

Get Your Tax Documents

Since we’re both employees and students, the University supplies us with a variety of fun and engaging tax documents, including:

  • T2202 (previously the T2202A) - Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
    This form is for students who’ve paid tuition fees that are eligible to be claimed
    T2202 FAQ

  • T4A - Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
    This is a catchall for reporting income types not included on other forms (including scholarships, bursaries, and fellowships)
    T4A FAQ

  • T4 - Statement of Remuneration Paid
    This is a summary of your employment earnings and deductions for the year (e.g. for TA income)

These documents usually become available sometime in February. The T4 will be available through Employee Self-Service. The T2202 will be available through ACORN. Depending on the source of your income, you might have two T4As from the University, one available through Employee Self-Service and one through ACORN, so be sure to check both places.

Note: Some specialized tax documents (like the T2200S form) can be tricky to find through Employee Self Service. When you sign in, make sure you click “Pay and Benefits Information” to find all your tax forms, instead of “Tax Slip” under “Most Frequently Used” (the latter will only display your T4).

If you’re having trouble finding your tax forms after the release date (usually late February), or you have other questions about these documents, a good person to talk to is the Departmental Officer, Mary Hsu.

Other Tax Write-Offs

While the Canadian tax system in general is a topic way beyond the scope of this page, here are some write-offs that grad students commonly make use of, which it may be worth looking into (and making sure you keep the receipts for). Reminder: verify your eligibility through reputable sources.

Get Added to an Email List

A lot of information for grad students comes through email listservs (collections of email addresses that can be sent to in one go). A lot of the time, you’ll be automatically added based on your status as a grad student and your research interests, but if you find you’re not on a list you’d like to be on (or you’re not receiving emails you’d expect to), contact the person who currently runs the list.

  • Linguistics Department Listserv (LINGDEPT-L) - This sends to everyone in the department at once (run by Kelly Barnes)
  • LGCU Listserv (LGCU-L) - This sends to current LGCU members (fellow graduate students) (currently run by Radu Craioveanu)

Department Research Groups

  • Language Variation and Change (LVC) - Currently run by Justin Leung
  • Phonetics and Phonology (Phon) - Currently run by Song Jiang
  • Syntax - Currently run by Nadia Takhtaganova
  • Language Description, Documentation and Revitalization (LDDR) - Currently run by Greg Antono
  • Semantics and Pragmatics (SEMPRAG) - Currently run by Will Williams
  • Cognitive Science of Language (CSoL) - Currently run by Barend Beekhuizen

Access the Grad Calendars

The calendar takes its information from the current grad student calendars. These are stored in the gmail account (ask another grad student for password).

It’s possible to check and edit the calendars just by signing in to the gmail account directly, but this is not recommended. Gmail gets upset after too many sign-ins from different devices and will refuse to sign you in without access to the recovery email. This means no one can access the account until we track down who is the current recovery email for the account (usually a member of the LGCU executive) and get them to open things up again. It’s super annoying. Therefore, don’t habitually use the gradroom568 account for booking, etc., but instead sign in once and share the calendars you want with your own gmail account, so you can access them that way.

Share the Calendar with Yourself

  1. Sign in to gmail using the “” account (and the password you’ve sourced already)

  2. Click on the “google apps” icon in the top right corner of the page, and select “calendar” from the drop-down menu

  3. In the left scroll-bar, there should be a selection of independent calendars (e.g. Multi-purpose Room, Projector Booking, etc.) For each calendar you want access to, click on ‘options’ (three dots that will appear when you hover over the calendar name).

  4. Select “Settings and Sharing”; under “Share with specific people” you’ll see a list of people the calendar is shared with. Scroll to the bottom of that list, and click “+ Add people”.

  5. Input your gmail account into the prompt that pops up and select “send”. The calendar should now be shared with your gmail account, and you should be able to see and edit it without signing in to the gradroom568 account.

  6. Repeat the last three steps for any other grad calendars you want access to.

Report Building Problems

Minor problems can be reported to Caretaking Services (416-978-6252 or email This would include issues like a burnt out light bulbs, etc. Note that Caretaking staff cannot open locked doors for people unless they know for certain that the person locked out occupies the room (e.g. they see you leave the locked room, and immediately ask to be let back inside).

For more major concerns, and things that have to be dealt with right away, contact Facilities and Services (416-978-3000). This would include issues like electricity supply flooding, elevator problems, etc. Problems can also be reported through the Service Request Portal (Note: you’ll need a utorID, and it only works on the Chrome browser).

If your concern is more security-oriented in nature, you can contact Campus Police (416-978-2222) or call 911 if it’s an emergency.